Monday, October 11, 2010

Scouts


So after the self indulgent whining that was the last post, now for something completely different.
I like scouts. I like being a scout leader. Planning programs, then running them is fun. Last term there were 8 scouts and 12 cubs who showed up regularly on Monday night to participate and have fun. The big thing last term was going camping out the back of a farm in Witerimu. Ten cubs and scouts, five adults. Pouring rain and huge fun had by all. Tonight we started back with the new term. I showed hoping that there would be 14 kids come along. There were 28. It was a lot more than I expected and the nights activites suddenly needed to be expanded, extra resources sourced to make sure everyone could participate. 16 cubs and 12 scouts and I was having a ball. The scouts tried to build a tower out of bamboo and rubber bands. Then they tried to make a pyramid holding a candle and push it out into the middle of the room to pop a balloon. More fun.

So for now I am on an upswing and happy. Hope I can sustain it for a few more days :)

PS The pictures show us on the top of a ridge we hiked up, and lighting fires in the pouring rain (difficult, not impossible)

No comments:

Post a Comment