Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Writing

Tonight I committed to electronic media (sounds so much dumber than committed to paper, but is more the truth) a story I have been working on all day. It began as a half dream/half reflection this morning that grew out of a conversation with Nys about her Dark-Isles setting. I was trying to wrap my head around a nebulous concept called the Darkness. According to what she told me, this Darkness surrounded the remaining civilizations in her campaign world. It could be driven back by a priest, it spawned demons, killing demons also drove it back, and there was some sort of object in the main city that also helped keep it at bay. So for most of the day I was trying to work out how, if I had come up with the concept, all these aspects would work. I finally came up with, for me, a workable story that accounts for what it might be, which I cast in the form of a campfire tale told by an old warrior to some younger ones to boost their morale before they went to battle the following day. I won't post it at the moment, I want to spend another couple of days turning it over and polishing it till I like the end result. I may even have him tell a story within a story to highlight some parts of it. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment